KTM SX 125 Piston Change Intervals..

Anything related to KTM.
stuchi99

Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:50 am

Hello there..

As title really, how often should you change a Piston on a 125 2 stroke, I've just fitted a new Vertex Piston, small end bearing and gaskets after 15 hours and the one removed seemed pretty fresh apart from rings seemed loose, and top of Piston was a brown / burnt colour..

So by the look of it, this could have lasted a while longer....and i thought i'd been smoking the ass off of it! It's only had an hour or so on a really wet / deep hard going track, apart from that i usually ride a hardpack practice track. So this probably helped with keeping it fresh.

Cheers.
Stu.
chris.roscoe

Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:18 pm

I think this come down to how hard you ride your bike , on when you should change the piston or rings , I think if your racing the average is between 10-30 hours of riding where if you are just riding for fun and not pushing the bike so hard some people would change around the 60-80 hour mark so I guess there no set in stone when to change the piston ,
stuchi99

Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Cheers for the reply Buddy.

But 60 - 80 hours on a 2 stroke Piston is Impossible, even a Vicar would struggle to get that life out of it...
You're right though, all comes down to how much abuse you're giving it, and if you know 125's.... you gotta keep them on high revs to get the best out of them.
chris.roscoe

Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Yes this is true. I don’t have these problems atm my bike it’s bits ha so no riding it for a while

Return to “KTM”